Measuring the Impact of LED and Neon Signs
Do you want to make your sign visible and make the customer want to come in? It is essential to set up visual communication to attract the most customers. There are several illuminated signage techniques you can use before you start. Let’s see further below.
– Definition of an LED sign
– What type of LED sign is for your shop?
– Advantages of LED signs
– Disadvantages of LEDs
– Neon sign: definition
– Use of neon signs
– Advantages of neon signs
– Disadvantages of this sign
The LED sign is a form of dynamic advertising that uses LEDs and can be controlled remotely via a computer. As such, it offers many advantages over the traditional neon sign or lightbox.
Important: signs and illuminated advertisements in some urban units of less than 800,000 inhabitants must be switched off between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. when the activity being advertised has ceased.
Definition of an LED sign
The LED signs have light-emitting diodes for their illumination. Regardless of the model or brand of sign, the process is the same: these diodes allow electricity to pass through the material, and the energy released provides for exterior lighting.
Depending on the material of the sign, the colour of the light will be different. This material will also determine the wavelength of the light emitted.
What type of LED sign is for your shop?
You can use the LED sign both indoors and outdoors. Depending on your needs, you can choose between:
– The programmable LED sign :
◦ Placed outdoors, you can program it to flash or scroll.
◦ It also allows you to broadcast a message to the public both day and night.
– The decorative LED sign:
◦ Placed indoors, this illuminated LED sign includes LED display type signs or decorative LED signs.
◦ It allows you to highlight an advertising message or a commercial offer.
Advantages of LED signs
Due to the use of LEDs, the LED sign differs from competing signs in two aspects:
– Economical because LEDs have a very long life span: they can intensely illuminate a sign for more than 100,000 hours.
– Environmentally friendly, as LED signs do not emit UV or infrared radiation and are fully recyclable.
The LED sign also offers other advantages:
– It is safe to handle, even when electricity is flowing through it.
– Unlike neon signs, they are resistant to shock, vibration or temperature changes.
– It provides a powerful colour rendition.
– Depending on the model, it can also be animated (light shows) and programmed by choosing the type of advertising messages or remote illumination without reducing its lifespan.
Disadvantages of LEDs
LED signs have a significant disadvantage compared to other illuminated signs due to their high cost. However, it has a quick payback because of its low power consumption and long life.
Another disadvantage of the LED sign compared to neon signs and lightboxes is that the illumination angle is reduced, as LEDs cannot yet distribute light 360 degrees.
Now let’s come to the neon sign.
The use of neon offers a clear advantage in illuminated signage. Like the lightbox and the LED sign, the neon sign allows you to spread the image of your activity, your business or your products in the long term.
Neon sign: definition
To be seen, the neon sign is one of the most influential media.
Two types of neon signs exist:
– Glass neon signs: these are illuminated signs lit by fluorescent tubes. These tubes illuminate a box from below, which is fitted with a glass face.
– Flexible neon signs: these use the latest lighting technology to overcome the disadvantages of conventional neon signs.
Use of neon signs
Depending on the type of business you wish to equip with an illuminated sign, certain types of display medium should be preferred.
To date, neon signs are mainly used by night-time businesses such as
– restaurants, etc.
Advantages of neon signs
The traditional neon sign offers many advantages, the main ones being
– neon can be adapted to all shapes and surfaces;
– 360-degree lighting angle;
– a wide range of colours and a homogeneous and powerful illumination;
– tubes of different diameters;
– a life span of 7 years indoors and 24 hours a day, 4 years outdoors under the same conditions.
Disadvantages of this sign
Although widely used, the neon sign has some disadvantages compared to LED signs:
– complexity of installation and fragility of the device
– high power consumption
– risk of electric shocks;
– high lifetime/cost ratio.
Our next edition will be on the types of signs. Stay posted, and don’t forget to leave your comments to encourage our readers to exchange views.
Illuminated Signage for Your Business: Advantages & Drawbacks of Lightboxes
Pingback: Successful Birthday Party Planning (Part 2) - Party Planners
Pingback: Which Led Light Bulb to Choose for Your Lighting - Plumbers services
Pingback: How Signs Are Used in Advertising | Golocal business
Pingback: How Can I Contribute to Bulb Recycling – My planet blog