7 Secrets Convenience Stores Keep to Themselves
Like all professionals, convenience stores have their share of tips and tricks. Vehicles, appliances, plumbing… Over the years, they’ve seen it all and shared their discoveries. But what do they tell each other?
Please tune in and read the 7 secrets these great convenience stores share with us today.
1. From $100, the estimate is mandatory
Paperwork, no one likes, and when you can avoid it, you do it, even if it’s not very honest!
Any serious professional must offer you an estimate to undertake work that costs more than $100.
– If you accept it, you must sign it and write “Estimate received before work is done” and “Good for work” on it.
– Then, when possible and when the situation is not too urgent, the sales rep writes a purchase order on which the estimate reference is specified (“Purchase order in conformity with estimate n°…”).
2. Nobody thinks about insurance…
Many insurance contracts can save you from emergency repairs and the risk of scams that go with them. Also, consider contacting your insurance company to find out what services you are entitled to. The assistance service can be:
– offered as an option;
– included in the comprehensive home insurance.
Also, think about the services associated with your bank card! They will give you additional discounts!
3. We often forget about the manufacturer’s warranty
Apart from the commercial warranty extension, household appliances are often covered by the manufacturer’s warranty for 1 or 2 years after purchase.
To benefit from this, it is advisable to:
– Carefully keep all documents related to the purchase of the product (order form, delivery, receipt, or invoice).
– List your device, often on the manufacturer’s website.
Good to know: do not forget the two legal guarantees imposed by default on the seller, of conformity and against hidden defects.
4. Without a maintenance contract, yes, it is expensive
Depending on the equipment, a maintenance contract is mandatory or not. However, it is advisable to subscribe to one even if it is optional! Prevention is better than cure, especially for equipment with a high initial investment (heater, heat pump, etc.).
When you buy a system, when it is not mandatory, it is strongly advised to choose a maintenance contract that generally includes 2 types of services
– regular maintenance of the installation (annual or more);
– breakdown service.
Good to know: for a heater, the annual contract costs between $80 and $150 and $150 for a heat pump.
5. With a smile, you can get anything!
Convenience stores are faced with several things:
– the concern of the customer whose unit has a failure;
– the customer’s constant fear of being cheated;
– his impatience when the problem cannot be fixed immediately.
When he is unaware of anything and does not have enough information before coming, the repairman is a bit helpless, and there is no point in going after him. This is the case for brands that send agents to work without circulating information.
On the other hand, repairers are sensitive to their customers. With a bit of politeness, kindness, and humor, if it’s within their means, you can be sure that the craftsman will round up to the customer’s advantage!
6. Think a little before you call
Another good reason to organize your papers well: the manual of your appliances must be appropriately stored for quick access!
The first reflex in case of a breakdown should be to consult these pages written in tiny letters. It takes a long time, but it can be a lifesaver!
According to the user manual, a few basic checks can be made for larger appliances.
7. 1 annual visit for the heater
As with the medical check-up and the technical inspection, an annual visit is indicated for most of the appliances in the house:
– Once a year, the visit is mandatory for gas water heaters.
– Every 5 years, your air conditioner must be inspected (after 2 or 3 years, the 1st year depending on the model’s power).
– Heat pumps must also be inspected every 5 years.
Without this inspection, any failure will not be covered by the insurance.
Good to know: the annual maintenance of heating appliances also allows real savings in terms of efficiency, fuel consumption, pollutant emissions, etc.
Finally, the obligation of result is also important! When a maintenance specialist comes to your home, he must leave with the problem solved. If defects appear shortly afterward, always contact the same professional again.