HomeTax Services

5 Reasons to Hire an Accountant to Do Your Taxes

5 Reasons to Hire an Accountant to Do Your Taxes
Like Tweet Pin it Share Share Email

Filing your taxes can be a hassle, depending on your situation. If you’re just an individual filling out a W-2, you can likely handle that yourself. But when your return is more complex, you might find it’s worth hiring a professional — someone who can save you not only time and stress but also money.

There are plenty of good reasons to consider asking for help. Here are five scenarios, for example, in which it might be worth it to bring in a professional.


You Have a Small Business or Side-Hustle

If you own your own business, there are many possible tax write-offs and a professional has the expertise to help you navigate them.

Likewise, if you’re doing significant work in the gig economy, driving Uber, selling products on sites like Etsy or racing horses, for example, you might need help with your 1099s.

The IRS Contacts You

Even if the IRS reaches out asking for something as simple as substantiation of expenses related to a car you bought. It could be a seemingly benign or innocuous letter but it can quickly become a big deal if handled incorrectly.
You don’t, after all, want to give the IRS the wrong or irrelevant information. There’s an art to playing poker, and it’s not that you’re trying to deceive the IRS but you don’t want to show too much of your hand. A good CPA or tax professional understands the language of the IRS.

You’re Planning for Your Kids to Go to College

Tax Accountant
Tax Accountant

If you have a child heading to college and you’re planning on filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), assistance could be helpful.

You want to make sure you don’t have unwanted assets or income in your child’s name, for example. That can actually hurt them for financial aid, although it might be good for tax planning.

So if your child has a 529 plan or Coverdell ESA or even if they’re a part-owner of your business, it could benefit you to hear from someone who speaks FAFSA.

You Own a Rental Property

A return on a real estate investment can get tricky and a professional can help you figure out what kinds of deductions you may be entitled to.

At least in the first year of owning a rental property, you should get some advice.

You’re Self-Directing Your Retirement

Your Roth IRA or 401(k) is not limited to traditional investments in stocks, bonds and mutual funds. You can also use retirement vehicles to invest in alternatives such as bitcoin and real estate. That’s self-directing.
Filing your return on these investments can get murky and it might be helpful to seek help.
There are generally four types of professionals who can assist you with your taxes: Registered Tax Return Preparers (RTRPs), Enrolled Agents (EAs), Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and attorneys. Many attorneys are also CPAs but may hold a more advanced legal degree as well. When deciding whom to hire, you should consider how complicated your return is.
These are essentially tiers. If your tax return is simple, an RTRP is fine but hiring a CPA might be wise if you need someone to handle more complexity.
So many people think a tax return is what it is but that is far from the truth. There is so much a good CPA can do to increase your refund or have a more strategic tax return.
He suggests thinking of a tax return like remodeling your kitchen. Two contractors could have very different designs even though they both still pass code.
As for the rates, they can vary widely. A CPA might charge close to $400 for a return or a few times the cost of an RTRP but in some cases spending more might be well worth it. After all, you get what you pay for.


Let us know in the comment section if you plan on hiring an accountant to do your taxes.

Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *