2 Easy Steps to Dye Your Beard
You’ve finally managed to grow a nice, full beard, and you are taking good care of it by brushing, moisturizing, and trimming it regularly. But there’s just one little thing that bothers you: its color. It’s not uniform, it’s too light, or it’s starting to turn white… No worries! There are now special beard dyes that even out its color while preserving its natural look. We’ll tell you all about it in this article!
Special beard dyes: their characteristics
Beard dyes are different from hair dyes. The hair of the beard is drier and thicker, so it requires dyeing softer products. In addition, the product is also suitable for facial skin, which is more fragile than scalp skin. Some brands have developed textures specially adapted to beard dyeing, which do not contain ammonia and are gentler and more protective of the skin.
The dyes last between 4 and 6 weeks, depending on the density of the hair. They come in a kit containing a small brush to spread the product, a plastic container, a small tube of dye, and an activator. The kit allows for between 4 and 6 applications, depending on the length of the beard.
Good to know: the dyes offered are different shades ranging from ash brown to ebony black. There are also “fancy” colors, which you can use for an evening or a special occasion.
Background of beard dye use
There are many reasons why men want to dye their beards:
– You have a nice beard, but it is starting to show the effects of age. It is strewn with white threads, and although some find this very elegant, you may be finding that it ages you.
– Its color is no longer quite homogeneous. The hair tends to fade, and more and more red hair appears.
– You have a light skin tone, and your beard is blond, barely visible. You want to give it more presence.
Using beard dye
If you have never dyed your beard before, it is recommended that you do a test before applying. The dye is applied to a dry beard: mix a dab of dye with a dab of activator. A small dab is used behind the ear and then checked for itching or allergic reaction.
If all goes well, you can then spread the product on the whole beard uniformly and consistently by respecting the direction of growth. It is necessary to pay attention to cover well the roots, without touching the skin, at the risk of staining them. Then leave the product on for 5 minutes. If you want to obtain a more intense color, you can leave it on longer, but not longer than 10 minutes.
Rinse, followed by shampooing. Finish by patting the beard dry with a towel. If the beard is long, you can use a hairdryer.
Good to know: beard dye packs cost about $15. You can find them in perfume stores, drugstores, and on the Internet.
Allowing a few stray hairs to damage your beard is not a good idea! Dyeing your beard is now quite simple, whether you want to level out your color, hide a few white hairs, or completely change your style. Commercial coloring kits are available in a variety of colors.
Commercial beard coloring kits are available. They’re convenient and made specifically for men who aren’t used to dying their hair.
There are a variety of colors to choose from. Choose a color that is as near to your original color as feasible for a natural result. If you’re unsure, go with the lightest shade so you can fix it afterward.
These kits are also cost-effective because they let you apply multiple coats (3 to 5), with a color lasting up to 6 weeks.
A colorant, activator, container for the mixture, and brush are usually included in a basic kit.
Choose an ammonia-free solution if you have sensitive skin. It will be kinder on your skin while still providing the same results.
1. Mix the ingredients together
Follow the instructions for mixing the colorant and activator. To achieve this, use the receptacle and the brush that came with the coloring.
Important: Always test the product on your skin 48 hours before using it to avoid any allergic reactions. It is not recommended to use the coloring on redness or pimples. Simply apply a small amount of product behind the ear.
2. Apply the coloring
The mixture is applied to a dry beard.
1. Apply a generous amount of the mixture to the beard, working up and down to cover all of the hair. Avoid getting it on your skin.
2. Repeat several times. The product should completely cover the hair.
3. Leave on for 5 minutes. This is the minimum application time. You can leave it on longer if your skin tolerates it. But don’t leave it on for more than 10 minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water until it becomes clear.
5. Use the shampoo provided in the kit to eliminate any color residue. It will also set the color. If shampoo was not provided, use a mild shampoo.
6. Leave on for 2 minutes.
7. Rinse again with warm water.
Hope you enjoyed this article. Remember to share your experience below.