When an elevator breaks down in a condominium, apartment, or even your workplace, it immediately becomes the focus of attention, generating stress and irritation. And as a usual user of said elevator, you may not be aware of the steps to take to solve the problem. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn some of the things you ought to know about elevator breakdowns.
1. What to do in case of a breakdown or a significant elevator malfunction?
In case of an elevator breakdown or a major elevator malfunction, you must always call the emergency number of the elevator company (its call center) mentioned on the label affixed in the elevator cabin and near the elevator (usually on the landing door of the first floor). Indeed, the call center is open 7 days a week and 24 hours a day and will allow you to have immediate assistance.
A technician will come to recognize the problem and repair it as soon as possible. It may happen, for example, that the part to be ordered and replaced cannot be corrected immediately. In this case, the technician can place a sign indicating that the elevator is out of order. This will prevent a resident of the building from being trapped.
Finally, if your building has a janitor, don’t hesitate to inform him/her in addition to your building manager. It will ensure the passage of information with the technician and the syndic in the following hours and days. The syndicate or the co-owners can then send a message to all the tenants of the building to warn them.
In the case of minor problems, contact your property manager by the means most often used with him: email, telephone, mail… who will process the request. It is then up to him to inform the elevator company so that it takes charge of the problem and plans the passage of the technician. As the building manager does not live in your building without information from the tenants, it may take some time before he is aware of the problem.
2. What to do if you are stuck in an elevator?
Some of you have probably already been stuck in a broken-down elevator. For others, the situation is unprecedented. For all of you, it is a situation that generally worries you. If one day the elevator of your condominium breaks down, here are some simple rules to keep in mind. First of all, try to stay calm:
- All elevators have high levels of safety and anti-fall devices. If the elevator breaks down, it is blocked and will not move again. The falls depicted in the movies- fortunately- only exist in the movies.
- The cabin remains ventilated even when it stops, so you will never run out of air.
- The elevator has two light points. In case of failure, one light will always be present. If the elevator is blocked due to a general power failure, there is an emergency lighting device that will always allow you to light the cabin.
Press the elevator’s remote alarm button to report your problem. Each elevator has a remote alarm button, represented by a yellow bell. It is usually located at the landing buttons. Press the button for about 20 seconds. You will be connected to the live emergency service. Calmly explain the situation and give them as much information as possible:
- The address where you are
- The elevator number
- The floor, if you know it
Once they receive your call, the center will send the dedicated elevator technician or the nearest technician to pick you up. Once you know that the technician is on his way, you will have to wait. This is not the best part, especially if the elevator is small. But the wait should be relatively quick.
3. What are the intervention delays in case of elevator breakdown in a condominium?
Under state decrees relating to the maintenance of elevator installations, all maintenance contracts must include a clause relating to the deadlines for unblocking people, repairing and restarting the elevator, and a clause relating to the information of users during these breakdowns.
- On average, the repair time in case of a stopped machine or a major elevator malfunction (without a blocked person) is 4 hours.
- The average contractual rescue time is one hour.
- In addition to the contractual deadlines set by the elevator maintenance company, you should know that the elevator companies are obliged to be able to provide an intervention to repair the installations on any working day (7 days a week). In the case of a blocked person, the intervention must take place 24 hours a day.
If you are a co-owner, check the commitments of your maintenance company when you sign the maintenance contract. In the event of a breakdown, and even more so in the event of a blocked person, a difference in the commitment timeframe may prove to be painful.
Looking for help?
Are you in the Greater Toronto area? Are you looking for a professional elevator company? Then look no further than Peak Elevator. They are one of the leaders in elevator maintenance and installation and give their customers fast, flexible and personalized solutions. They are the team to turn to if your system needs an upgrade, maintenance program, or emergency repairs. So, what are you waiting for? Give them a call today for a quote—they guarantee the attention, professionalism, and quality service you deserve.